This Bentley Manual is a comprehensive source of service information and specifications for BMW 3 Series from 1999 to 2005. The aim throughout this manual has been simplicity clarity and completeness with practical explanations step-by-step procedures and accurate specifications. Whether you're a professional or a do-it-yourself BMW owner this manual will help you understand care for and repair your E46 3 Series.
Though the do-it-yourself BMW owner will find this manual indispensable as a source of detailed maintenance and repair information the BMW owner who has no intention of working on his or her car will find that reading and owning this manual will make it possible to discuss repairs more intelligently with a professional technician.
BMW E46 models and engines covered in this BMW repair manual:
(M52 TU 2.5 liter engine)
(M52 TU 2.8 liter engine)
(M54 / M56 2.5 liter engine)
(M54 3.0 liter engine)
(S54 3.2 liter Motorsport engine)
- Procedures for everything from oil change service to interpreting the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL). This manual tells you what to do and when to do it.
- Engine and cylinder head service including valve clearance adjustment on the S54 engine.
- Information for specific driveability problems including explanation of engine management systems and BMW OBD II Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).
- Theory of operation and repair information for Siemens MS 42.0 MS 43.0 MS 45.1 and MS S54 engine management resonance/turbulence intake manifold and Double VANOS (Variable Camshaft Timing).
- Drivetrain maintenance troubleshooting adjustment and repair of self-adjusting clutch (SAC) gearshift linkage driveshaft drive axles and wheel drive system.
- Manual sequential manual (SMG) and automatic transmission removal installation seal replacement and external service.
- System description and repair information for Antilock Brakes (ABS) Automatic Stability Control (ASC) and Dynamic Stability Control (DSC).
- Heating and air conditioning repair (IHKA and IHKR) including component replacement.
- Body adjustments and repairs including sunroof convertible top and tailgate.
- Wiring schematics including power distribution and ground locations.
- Dedicated electrical component guide specifying relay control module and ground locations with detailed illustrations and photos.
This Part Fits the Following Vehicles