The engineers at ECS Tuning have developed a 2-piece Tru-Float Wave style rotor that combines the advantages of weight savings and rapid heat dissipation, providing a rotor superior to stock while preventing warping and extending component life. The reduction of unsprung weight (by 3.5 pounds per rotor) improves handling characteristics under all situations and offers real world benefits that can be felt on both the street and track! All-around improvement in one performance minded package.
- Weight savings:
- The B8 S4/S5 ECS 2-Piece Tru-Float wave rotors weigh only 13 lbs each, compared to the stock rotor at 16.5 lbs. The lighter 2-piece rotor reduces unsprung weight and rotational inertia, improving suspension performance.
- The unique wave pattern further reduces weight at the outer most portion of the rotor, reducing both unsprung weight and more importantly the rotational inertia of the rotor, further improving acceleration and braking performance compared to a non-wave design.
- Lightweight, precision machined 6061-T6 aluminum hat, which is hard anodized with an attractive matte black finish that is both durable and corrosion resistant.
- Gray cast iron rings:
- High quality FC-30 cast iron with a high carbon content improves wear properties at elevated temperatures and has excellent thermal conductivity as well as vibration damping properties.
- Friction surfaces are precision ground to ensure parallel surfaces and improve pad bed in, then assembled rotors are precision balanced for vibration free operation.
- Heat treating reduces the tendency for rotor cracking by reducing internal rotor stresses.
- Non-friction ring surfaces, including internal vents, are painted to resist salt and other corrosives.
- Tru-Float design:
- The full float design allows independent radial and lateral thermal expansion and movement. Both of these features reduce thermal stresses on the rotor due to uneven thermal loading under hard braking.
- The design of our rotor hat conducts less heat into the bearings due to the reduced contact area between the rotor and the hat, improving bearing life.
- The radial expansion capacity allows the ring to increase in diameter without being restrained by the hat, reducing the tendency to “cone” or distort toward the outer braking surface, which improves pedal feel and pad wear characteristics
- The lateral float capability allows the rotor to self-center between the pads, improving pad wear and reducing drag. It also reduces the effects of pad knock back, which is the tendency of the rotor to push the pistons back in to the calipers due to wheel bearing deflection under extreme loading, resulting in a soft pedal and inconsistent braking. Reducing or eliminating knock back by allowing lateral float results in a more consistent pedal feel and braking
- Improved cooling:
- ECS 2-Piece rotors feature side-specific directionally curved vanes which pump air through the rotor at a higher velocity, leading to consistent, rapid cooling on both sides equally.
- Conventional B8 S4/S5 rotors are curved-vaned, but use the same rotor for both sides of the vehicle. This compromise inefficiently pumps air from the outer diameter to the inner diameter of one rotor, working against the natural centrifuge effect. This significantly reduces air flow and thermal conductivity on one side of the vehicle, resulting in uneven braking cooling and performance from side to side.
- Rotor rings feature 48 vanes compared to 45 on the stock rotors and feature a whopping 55% increase in internal surface area to further improve cooling efficiency compared to the stock rotors.
- Drilled and slotted:
- 2-Piece Tru-Float rotors are cross drilled to promote cross ventilation for improved cooling as well as slotted to clean brake pads and carry away water and brake dust. Cleaner brake pads result in faster, more consistent stopping.
- Drilled holes are chamfered while slots are machined with a ball end mill - both to prevent cracking that may be present on improperly machined rotors.
- Manufacturing quality:
- Designed and tested in-house by ECS Tuning's leading team of engineers
- Manufactured exclusively for ECS Tuning in an ISO 9001 certified facility
Ready for a replacement rotor set? ECS offers discounts on pairs of replacement rotors to the original customer or customers showing proof of ownership. Please contact the Sales Department for additional information.
This Part Fits the Following Vehicles
|Audi||B8 A4||Quattro||V6 3.2L|
|Audi||B8 A5||Quattro||V6 3.2L|
|Audi||B8 S5||Quattro||3.0T Cabriolet|
|Audi||B8 S5||Quattro||3.0T Coupe|
|Audi||B8 S5||Quattro||V8 4.2L|
|Audi||B8 S5||All||3.0T Cabriolet|
|Audi||B8 S5||All||3.0T Coupe|
|Audi||B8 S5||All||V8 4.2L|
|Audi||C7 A6||Quattro||3.0 TDI|
|Audi||C7 A6||FWD||V6 3.0T|
|Audi||C7 A6||Quattro||V6 3.0T|
|Audi||D4 A8||Quattro||3.0 TDI|