This is a comprehensive source of service information and specifications for BMW 5 Series models from 1997 to 2003. The aim throughout this manual has been simplicity, clarity and completeness, with practical explanations, step-by-step procedures and accurate specifications. Whether you are a professional or a do-it-yourself BMW owner, this manual will help you understand, care for and repair your E39 5 Series.
Though the do-it-yourself BMW owner will find this manual indispensable as a source of detailed maintenance and repair information, the BMW owner who has no intention of working on his or her car will find that reading and owning this manual will make it possible to discuss repairs more intelligently with a professional technician.
- 6-cylinder engines: M52, M52 TU, M54
- V-8 engines: M62, M62 TU
- Bosch M 5.2, M 5.2.1, ME 7.2
- Siemens MS 41.0, MS 42.0, MS 43.0
- Getrag S5D 250G, S6S 420G
- ZF S5D 320Z
- A4S 270R, A4S 310R
- A5S 360R, A5S 390R
- A5S 325Z
- A5S 560Z, A5S 440Z
- Procedures from the basic oil change service to interpreting the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL). This manual tells you what to do and how and when to do it.
- Engine and cylinder head service, including camshaft timing chain setup and adjustment.
- Information for specific driveability problems, including explanation of engine management systems and BMW OBD II Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).
- Theory of operation and repair information for the Siemens and Bosch engine management systems.
- Drivetrain maintenance, troubleshooting, adjustment and repair of self-adjusting clutch (SAC), gearshift linkage, driveshaft, and drive axles.
- Manual and automatic transmission removal, installation, seal replacement and external service.
- System description and repair information for Antilock Brakes (ABS), Automatic Stability Control (ASC) and Dynamic Stability Control (DSC).
- Heating and air conditioning repair (IHKA and IHKR), including component replacement.
- Body adjustments and repairs, including sunroof and tailgate.
- Wiring schematics and extensive electrical component section specifying relay, control module and ground locations with detailed illustrations and photos.
This Part Fits the Following Vehicles